Get to Know Chef Malcolm Craig of Chef Malcolm’s Handmade Pies
Name: Malcolm Craig
Current Restaurant: Chef Malcolm’s Handmade Pies
Previous Restaurants: The Pump Rooms (Roman Baths, UK), Café Retro (Bath, UK), Cathedral Village Freehouse, Willow on Wascana, Beer Bros Bakery and Cuisine
Favourite Hobbies: Cooking, Fishing, and Golf
Favourite Cookbook: Keith Floyd’s Floyd on Britain and Ireland
Favourite Food: Steak and Kidney Pie
Chef Q & A
1. What is your earliest food memory?
My earliest food memory would be all the (at the time) fancy buffet food items that my grandparents would set up for any special occasion or party that they were having at their house. Shrimp vol-au-vent, coronation chicken, and the most amazing custard with bananas – warm, sweet, and very banana-y!
2. If you could cook with one celebrity chef (past or present) who would it be and why?
I would have liked to have cooked with a British chef and entrepreneur, Keith Floyd. His take on great British pub foods and bringing them into modern times for modern palates was very much how my own tastes were growing at the time of his books and TV shows.
3. What are your favourite ingredients to cook with? What are your favourite ingredients to pick up at Wholesale Club?
My favourite ingredients to use and pick up at Wholesale Club include all seafood, fish, fresh herbs, meats, and cheeses.
4. Fill in the blank: If I wasn’t a chef, I’d be…
A construction worker!
5. If you could cook a meal for anyone, who would it be?
My grandparents. They never got to try any of my dishes when I was learning my trade, and I regret that.