Cheesy Baked Penne
There’s nothing quite like a comforting bowl of pasta after a difficult day. What better than a cheesy baked penne coated in marinara, mixed with sausage, mozzarella, and gouda? We love having this recipe, made by our friends at Taste Toronto, as we curl up to binge watch TV!
Find all the ingredients you need for this recipe at your local Wholesale Club. Shop in-store or online!
Yield: Serves 4
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 1 lbs uncooked Sunspun penne rigate
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 500 g mild Italian sausage, crumbled
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 1 cup gouda
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil the pasts for 3-4 minutes, drain, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°
- Heat up olive oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion for 3 to 4 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Crumble the sausage meat directly into the skillet, breaking it up as it cooks until browned.
- Add the rosemary, thyme, and marinara sauce. Turn heat down to a simmer and let cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Take the rosemary sprigs out, add the drained pasta to the skillet, and stir until everything is coated.
- Top the pasta with mozzarella and gouda. Baked in the oven uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Garnish with basil and enjoy!