Get to Know Mike Baltzer
Name: Mike Baltzer
City: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Current Restaurant: Kelly’s Deli
Favorite Hobbies: Camping and gardening
Favorite Food to Eat: Salads
Chef Q & A
1. When did you start cooking?
Started cooking roughly in 1988 when I opened Kelly’s Deli for the first time. Now, 30 years after closing, I decided to reopen Kelly’s Deli rather than retire.
2. How did your passion for food begin?
I like cooking for many reasons, especially when I am cooking with fresh produce from my garden. When I start chopping and cooking and as I progress, I can smell the most wonderful aromas and as I continue it gets better and better.
3. Describe the favourite dish you make:
My favorite dish must be a delicious sub sandwich, made with oven roasted chicken…how can you go wrong!
4. What are your favourite ingredients to cook with? What ingredients do you shop for at Wholesale Club?
My favorite ingredients to cook with would be fresh produce. I purchase so many different products from the Wholesale Club like fresh vegetables, deli meats, raw meats such as chicken, pork and beef and many other sauces and spices.
5. If you were trapped on a deserted island for the rest of time and could only eat three types of food, what would you choose to eat?
It would have to be salads, subs and carrot cake.
6. Where can people find you?
We can be found on Instagram, Facebook and website @ Kellysdeli.ca
Follow Dean Gossen