Baked Lentil Veggie Nuggets
Perfect for the picky toddler (or adult) in your home, these lentil veggie nuggets are tasty and wholesome, plus perfectly “dunkable”!
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves: 5 people (20 nuggets)
Difficulty of recipe: Easy
These lentil veggie nuggets are perfect for the picky toddler in your house. (Or picky adults!) Kids and adults alike love to dip, and it’s one of the easiest ways to get a picky eater to try new things. These perfectly “dunkable” nuggets are completely wholesome and packed with nutrients, but you can keep that tiny bit of info all to yourself. As an added bonus, these nuggets are dairy free and plant based, so they’re great for anyone with a lactose intolerance or on a vegan diet. PLUS, these delicious bites are oil free, and baked, NOT fried!
- 1 cup split red lentils soaked in boiling hot water for 30 minutes
- 1 medium zucchini grated
- 1 large carrot grated
- 2 slices whole grain sliced bread untoasted, gluten free if needed
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add your bread slices to a food processor and process until a breadcrumb consistency is achieved. Then transfer your bread crumbs into a large bowl, and add the frozen corn and peas to the same bowl and set aside.
- Drain your lentils and add them to the food processor along with your grated carrot, zucchini and all the seasonings. Process until broken down and well combined. Then transfer to the bowl with the breadcrumbs, and mix to combine.
- Form 1-1.5″ balls using your hands, and place them on your baking tray. Then press each one down gently, without breaking them, to form your nuggets.
- Bake for 25 minutes, carefully flipping them at the 15 minute mark. Let your nuggets cool at room temperature for at least 5 minutes to help them firm up before serving with ketchup, tahini or any of your favourite dipping sauces.