Peanut Butter & Jam Beignets
If you’re looking for a classic French treat with a twist, try these peanut butter and jam beignets made by our friends at Taste Toronto. These deep-fried doughnuts are light, fluffy, and coated in powdered sugar, creating a perfect balance between sweet and savory. The addition of peanut butter and raspberry jam takes this classic treat to a whole new level, adding richness and complexity to the already decadent dough.
The word “beignet” is derived from the French word for “fritter,” and the pastries are traditionally made by deep-frying dough and dusting them with powdered sugar. This recipe puts a modern spin on the classic pastry, making it a must-try for any foodie or dessert lover. Thanks to Sunspun peanut butter, these beignets are elevated to new heights of flavor and texture, making them a truly indulgent treat.
Find all the ingredients you need for this recipe at your local Wholesale Club. Shop in-store or online!
Yield: 20 Beignets
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Proof Time: 2 hours
- 3/4 cup warm water (between 110-115°F)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk or evaporated milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Sunspun Smooth peanut butter
- Raspberry jam
- Icing Sugar (for dusting)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Stir until the sugar and yeast have dissolved, and let it sit for about 5 minutes until the mixture becomes frothy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and vanilla extract. Add this to the yeast mixture and stir to combine.
- Add in 2 cups of flour and the salt, and mix until the flour is fully incorporated. Add in the butter and mix again.
- Gradually add in the remaining flour until the dough forms a ball and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes, until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover with a damp towel, and let it rise in a warm, draft-free place for about 1-2 hours or until it has doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, roll it out to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut the dough into squares or circles, about 3-4 inches in diameter.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep pot or fryer until it reaches 375°F.
- Fry the beignets in batches, flipping them over once, until they are golden brown and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the beignets from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain off any excess oil.
- Use piping bags and fill each beignet with peanut butter and jam.
- Dust the beignets with powdered sugar before serving and enjoy!