Spicy Kung Pao Shrimp with Peanuts from Golden Gate Eatery
If you love spicy and flavorful dishes, then you’re in for a treat with this recipe for Spicy Kung Pao Shrimp with Peanuts from Chef George Fong of Golden Gate Eatery & Takeout! This stir-fry dish is made with succulent shrimp, crunchy peanuts, and a spicy sauce that will tantalize your taste buds – try it yourself!
Find all the ingredients you need for this recipe at your local Wholesale Club. Shop in-store or online!
- Shelled peanuts
- 1 lb jumbo raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce or sriracha
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of sugar
- ½ sweet Spanish onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 carrot
- Handful baby corn
- Dried red chili peppers, to taste
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp hot chili oil
- Pinch of hot chili peppercorn seeds
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch or potato starch
- Prepare peanuts (one day in advance).
- Deep fry (or pan fry) peanuts at 375°F for 2 minutes
- Cook shrimp.
- Boil a pot of water and add 12 shrimp; cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove and immediately run under cold water; set aside.
- Prepare spices and flavour ingredients in small bowl.
- Add vinegar, ketchup, chili garlic sauce, oyster sauce, salt, and sugar together in a bowl and mix.
- Prepare and place vegetables in a large bowl.
- Chop onion and bell pepper; dice celery and carrots. Mix with baby corn and your preferred amount of dried chili peppers.
- Quickly cook vegetables in a wok.
- Place minced garlic into a wok coated with very hot oil, almost smoking.
- After 10 seconds of cooking, add chopped vegetables.
- Halfway into cooking the vegetables, add hot chili oil and a pinch of hot chili peppercorn seeds.
- Two thirds through cooking, add the spice and flavours ingredients and cooked shrimp.
- Prepare sauce and serve.
- In an empty small bowl, mix cornstarch or potato starch with two tablespoons of water.
- Pour the mixture into the hot wok and stir for ten seconds, or until the sauce becomes smooth and creamy. Turn off the heat, and scoop onto a serving dish.
- Sprinkle with cooked peanuts to garnish. Enjoy with rice or noodles.
Find Golden Gate Eatery & Takeout
Address: 1300 King St. East (at Townline Rd.) Oshawa, ON